Right for Students, Right for Teachers, Right for Warren County!
Why Common Core?
Tennessee students are as talented as any students in the nation. By adopting the Common Core State Standards, students will be prepared to compete in a global world with skills that allow them to be college and career ready when leaving high school. Adopting and implementing the Common Core State Standards will:
- Define what we expect our students to learn and teachers to teach by focusing on the most critical skills needed to compete in a global economy.
- Focus teaching and learning by going deeper into narrower content.
- Allow us to collaborate with educators across the country to support student growth and benefit from economies of scale.
What are Common Core Standards?
The Common Core State Standards are designed to be:
- Focused, coherent, clear and rigorous
- Internationally benchmarked
- Anchored in college and career readiness
- Evidence-and research-based
Keys to Implementation for Teachers!
- Focus strongly where the Standards focus.
- Coherence: think across grades, and link to major topics within grades.
- Rigor: require conceptual understanding, procedural skill and fluency, and application with intensity.
Grade Band Focus Areas:
- K-2: Addition, Subtraction, Problem Solving
- 3-5: Multiplication, Division, Fractions
- 6-8: Proportions, Ratios, Linear Algebra, Linear Functions
Helpful Resources for Common Core
Upper Cumberland Regional Common Core Information